I will be your voice!

To the world, you are just one, but to me you are the world.

Friday, November 28, 2008

Autism Treatments Come With a Hefty Price


Well it has now been eight years since I started on the road to recover Mickie. I have tried most of the treatments and diets recommended and Mickie is not even close to recovery, but wait-I'm not implying that all these alternative therapies don't work. They just don't work for everyone and maybe, just maybe, Mickie is one of those cases.

I have tried a few of the diets-Gluten and Casein free for the past 7 years and "The Specific Carbohydrate Diet" for the past year. He doesn't seem to be in so much pain anymore, but he is still very much lost in his own world. I tried the Dan protocol too and it's very expensive.

I've heard about Stem Cell, but I'm skeptical. HBOT which I hope to try soon. He had one session a year and a half ago and on the trip home, it was the calmest I have ever seen Mickie all his life, but It's expensive and they push for forty treatments in a row, for 40 days, which amounts over 4,000 dollars and I just don't have it. The Autism Research Institute report that about 16% of cases, it causes get worse. I don't think my heart could survive Mickie getting worse then he is. Until I find a Doctor that will allow me to choose giving him a treatment once in a while-I wait.

It's not easy for me to say this, because recovering Mickie has been the driving force behind my determination and the source of my strength. Without the hope, I don't think I would have been able to get out of bed every morning and follow the same routine day in and day out, and almost becoming autistic myself, in other to keep Mickie's world predictable and diminishing the amount of stress he experiences, with not much success, because he lives in a constant state of stress in spite of my efforts.

Recovery comes with a hefty price, so with lots of money it's a real possibility, but without it, it's just a dream.

No comments: