I will be your voice!

To the world, you are just one, but to me you are the world.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A GLUTEN-CASEIN FREE DIET

It was March 2003 and Mickie was now 5 years old and has lost all speech by now. He had started to have these episodes. I didn't know what to make of them. He screams desperation, and as the weeks pass he gets worse. The episodes happen at school, at home, in the middle of the night. Mickie seemed to be in pain, but no one can tell me how to help him. No one in our house has been able to sleep-it's been four months. He would be happy one minute and sad the next. Late in May, I found a nice doctor who ordered some blood work upon my request.

One night I went as far as faking a head injury and taking him to Los Angeles Children's Hospital. It proved to be useless, because the doctor on duty that night refused to examine him. Another testament, that when an autistic person needs medical attention, he or she is treated like just another crazy person. I never took him back there again.

The next day Dr Alejandro, his pediatrician saw him and with the blood work being ready, was able to tell us that Mickie suffered from Malabsoption, but to not worry, that there were no toxins going into his blood. What I didn't know then, was how inaccurate that statement was. His Sed-Rate was at 33, which shows inflammation and It should be under 10. A few days later Mickie saw a Gastroenterologist. I showed him the blood work and he told me that Low IgA would make Mickie prone to gastrointestinal infections and that IgE, Mickie was to stay away from Dairy. Finally there was a reason for his unexplained pain!

I took him off milk and went a step further and took him off cereals. Within days the diahrrea had stopped and his pain had gone away.


1 comment:

Cyndi said...

Whne will doctors get a clue??? The moms know more than they do!