I will be your voice!

To the world, you are just one, but to me you are the world.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Keeping Mickie Safe

People on the autism spectrum, have no fear of death and no awareness of danger. Many are not afraid of large bodies of water. They are prone to wonder away for home. Wondering away is one of Mickie’s favorite things to do. Over the years I’ve adapted the house we live in to Mickie’s changing needs. My father installed two iron gates, one on the entrance to a hallway leading to the living room and the other leading to his siblings’ bedrooms.

One morning, in the spring of 2008, I walked out of my room as I do everyday, at
7 O'clock in the morning to find that the Iron Gate leading to the living room was wide open and the front door was unlocked.I remember latching the lock the night before. Who could have opened it? I asked myself. Then I remembered I had locked the lock, but it was almost dark and only one side of the chain was hooked on to the lock. I didn't even notice it. With all the precautions I take every day to keep Mickie safe, even to have earned the name of camp Gitmo, that mistake could have caused a tragedy. He must have had an angel watching over him that morning.


2 comments:

Cyndi said...

Are there any safety videos out there for ASD kids?

~Zurama Arencibia Nuñez~ said...

I don't know if there are. I suppose there could be, but in Mickie's case, they would not help, because he has severe autism and I don't think he understand them.